October 9, 2011

Furniture Design: Finalizing My Design & Wood Shopping!

This week I finalized my design, did some color investigations, and went wood shopping!!!! I made my working drawings and figured out my dimensions. I want the table to be 20" tall, 10" wide with a 1" trim. I want to do a two-tone design with the interior being a contrasting color to the outside. I would like to keep the outside a wood-grain tone to showcase the wood and add a zing of color on the insider for interest and pizazz. 


Plan view of 2 pieces  
Front & Side Elevation

Originally I was going to do regular fingers joints to join the corners or my table but the more I looked at images of them I didn't like how the 2 toned nature of the end grain showed. So I started thinking maybe I can use that to my advantage or do something different. I started looking into decorative joints and mitered joints.
 


color investigation: 
I want to stay in the matte, neutral color palette
My color 2 options are....
Light color wood, darker interior color
Darker color wood, light color interior



Yellow tone wood off set with cool blue or green hues

Wood with a gray tone paired with mauvey, blue, cream hues
neutral color palette
I would love to find a wood with this interesting of a grain
Another matte/neutral color tone



To see my full color inspiration ideas visit my pinterest page and follow me! designordye (shameless self plug) 


Wood Shopping:
 1st time doing it and to be honest it was a tad stressful! Mainly because I didn't want to spend an astronomical amount to make my table. If I weren't a student, I'd be happy to spend whatever and get exactly what I want!
We ventured out to Exotic Lumber in Gaithersburg, MD saturday morning to get a grad tour by the owner. I was a fun learning experience but when it came to picking the wood and figuring out the price, that was a bit of a doozey for a saturday morning! I ended up selecting ash as my wood because I liked the grain, finished tone, and price :) I'm excited to start making my table!!!!
Images from Exotic Lumber are below.....








1 comments:

Function First Design said...

Wow! I love your color studies. So now that you're going with a light wood what color will be the inside? Or are you going to stain the ash darker and go for a bright inside? Exotic Lumber was great.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Hostgator Discount Code